In case you missed it! on Monday 6 July 2020, in cooperation with Phileo by Lesaffre, Dairy Global and All About Feed hosted a webinar of the topic - Fertility through nutrition in dairy. Now it’s available to watch it on demand…
The three speakers who joined us are as follows:
1. Dr Albert De Vries, PhD, Professor in the Department of Animal Sciences, University of Florida, USA will presented on the Importance of reproduction for profitability and productive lifespan of dairy cattle. In summary looked at:
- Failure to get pregnant is a major cause of premature culling
- Good reproduction is possible and economically valuable
- Better reproduction helps to extend productive lifespan of dairy cattle.
The line-up from left: Dr Valentin Nenov (global ruminant manager, Phileo by Lesaffre), Zana van Dijk (Editor, Dairy Global), Dr Albert De Vries (University of Florida), Dr Jo Leroy (University of Antwerp). Photo: Company Webcast
2. Dr Jo Leroy, PhD, Professor of Veterinary Physiology, Pathophysiology and Husbandry, University of Antwerp, Belgium spoke on: Negative energy balance in relation to dairy cow fertility: focusing on what really matters in 20 minutes and looked at:
- What factors really play a role when discussing about Negative Energy Balance? Looking beyond the difficult calculations
- How does metabolic stress affect fertility? The law of mother nature: “Unhealthy cows cannot reproduce”
- Long term effects: The oocyte needs more than 3 months to mature and will remember unhealthy cow conditions many months before!
3. Dr Valentin Nenov, global ruminant manager, Phileo by Lesaffre presented on: Feeding yeast probiotic for better metabolic adaptation and reproductive performance in dairy cattle. He touched on:
- Effect of yeast probiotic on negative energy balance and systemic inflammation of peripartum dairy cows
- Long term effect of yeast probiotic on dairy herd reproductive performance and productivity.