Bustling with local as well as international visitors, today is the second day of the livestock show and Sommet de l'élevage is in full swing at the Grand Hall show grounds, in Cournon d'Auvergne. This year the show takes place from 2 – 4 October.
This year the 28th edition of the Sommet de l'élevage boasts 1,550 exhibitors from 38 countries, 96,000 professional visitors from 85 countries and 2000 animals, all occupying the 180,000 m² show grounds.
With farm visits, dairy processing tours, testing stations and research stations all on the agenda, there is a lot to do and see. International visitors are welcomed at the International Lounge where visitors can find multilingual guides. Each year during the Sommet de l'élevage, the international gala evening takes place, giving visitors a display of a wide range of breeds.
Photo: Zana van Dijk
Africa in the spotlight
This year Africa is a main focus, particularly West Africa. The African continent faces many challenges while offering multiple opportunities to develop its agricultural production at this year’s show there are many delegations, several stands for African countries, and conferences taking place. Dairy Global spoke to Mr Alaine Sawadogo, from the Ministère des Ressources Animales et Halieutiques in Burkina Faso, who said “being present at Sommet délevage is an opportunity to attract the global livestock industry to Africa in order to grow the country’s sector.”
Mr Alaine Sawadogo, from the Ministère des Ressources Animales et Halieutiques in Burkina Faso. Photo: Zana van Dijk
Competition at Sommet d’elevage
The "Sommets d’Or" competition also takes place at the show. Awards will go to exhibitors presenting equipment, products or services that are innovative, taking into account the manufacture, safety features, or ergonomics of products and services. Machinery, equipment, supplies or services for the livestock breeding sector: the jury votes for the innovations that stand out for the way in which they reply to end-user needs. This is a major opportunity for exhibitors to showcase new products.
Winners of the "Sommets d’Or" this year are:
Animal Welfare category:
- Bioret Agri - DAIRY SCRATCHY: Horizontal & vertical scratching stand for livestock
Organic farming category:
- Cizeron bio - Nucleus proteins for feedstuffs on organic farms
- Manitou - Eco-stop: Engine cut-off function for farm telehandlers
- Rousseau - Circular saw hedge cutter E-FULGOR 755
- Thaler - Loader 3248T-5A avec SP
- Base - Cogen’Air®: Thermovoltaic solutions for drying forage
- Holm & Laue GmbH - FlushMaster: bucket washing by TaxiLait
- Dussau Distribution - Robot Sentinel 2
- Axce - Eye breed
- Actrade - Flora Boost : post-trempage naturel non biocide
- Medria Solutions - Vel’Live : Service de monitoring du vêlage
- MSD Santé animale - VEAUCATION: educational tool for farmers in respect to calf health
Processing and product marketing category:
Sommet d’elevage takes place each year. The 2020 edition dates are confirmed as 7,8, 9 October.